The original trip for South West NSW was postponed until April/May 2020.
I am calling for any additional expressions of interest for this trip. I have booked a meeting for Wednesday 14 August at 12.30pm at Billy’s Deck, Shop 1/6-20 Luck Street, Eltham.
This meeting will discuss:
· the proposed trip
· ideas for duration of time
· the towns and National parks that we could visit and the walks that are possible
· a tentative date (sometime in April – May, 2020)
· options for accommodation.
If you are interested in coming to the meeting to find out more about this trip, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org, thanks
Some of the details about the trip are below.
Proposed outline of the trip
The plan is to explore and partake in a variety of walks in South-west NSW. The main places proposed include Mungo National Park, Kinchega National Park, Broken Hill & Silverton. Other locations may also be of interest. This will depend on the number of days we want to travel together.
There are a couple options for where to start the trip and other options for the trip home. The trip could start at Mildura or Swan Hill and finish at Mildura. Murray-Sunset National Park, Hattah-Kulkyne National Park, Wyperfeld National Park or a variety of locations in SA are options to extend the trip.
Some of the walks
1. Mungo National Park
· Walls of China
· Part of the Mungo Track (the whole track is 60km)
· Foreshore Nature Walk
· Grassland Nature & Mungo Outlook Walk
Lake Mungo is one of the world’s most significant archaeological sites. Mungo Man (40,000 years old) was discovered in 1968 and Mungo Woman in 1969. There are also early settler historical sites. There are a lot of places worth exploring at Mungo.
We can also take a guided tour to sections of the National Park that are closed to the public.
2. Kinchega National Park
· Woolshed walk
· Homestead Billabong Walk
· Various walks along the Darling River and Menindee Lakes
· Heaps of bird life
3. Broken Hill
· Living Desert State Park walk
· Heritage walk tour
· Sundown Nature Trail
· Plenty of galleries and museums celebrating the mining history of Broken Hill
· Heritage Trail around the mining town (almost a ghost town), historic buildings and ruins
Mungo National Park
· Mungo Lodge – can accommodation all of us. The cost ranges (per night) from $370 (3 beds) to $317 for double. We can get a group discount including breakfast. Restaurant available.
· Shearers Quarters – bunk rooms at $55 each (per night). BBQ available.
· Camping – $8.50 per person (per night)
Kinchega National Park
· The Shearers Quarters at Kinchega can take 27 guests, communal kitchen and dining area. Bunk beds in 4 rooms. Bring your own linen, pillows and towels. $20/per person (per night)
· Camping – $6 per person per night
· Accommodation in Menindee – hotels, motels etc
· Accommodation – hotels, motels, cabins at the camping grounds
· Camping – several one quoted $45/night (powered)
Suggested time- frame
Meet at Mildura or Swan Hill and have a starting trip dinner and stay the night. We will need to stock up on supplies here.
Mungo – 3 nights
Kinchega – 2 nights
Broken Hill – 3 nights (includes time at Silverton)
Final night in Mildura (1 night)
Total 10 nights